This is one of the stranger issues I've had to troubleshoot. Customer decided they were going to identify their administrative users with a # symbol (which I shall call a hash, rather than repeatedly trying to type octothorpe without laughing out loud).
Here's what happens if your administrative user happens to be called "#djr".
- Run Setup.
- Install your desired selection of components, include Enhanced Logging (this is where the issue lies).
- Core Components installs successfully
- During the Additional Components phase, you'll see this error:
- Try again. Same error.
- Reboot, try again. Same error.
- Search Google for the error. Nothing.
- Scratch head
- Notice that the "#d" in the username has been replaced with the folder path to which SQL binaries will be installed.
So it seems that the ISA installer uses #d internally as a placeholder for something, and using it in the username causes it some confusion.
Renamed the account, installed without error straight away.